Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default mail software being over-ridden in user accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro (SP2) which contains a total of four user accounts. Two of the user accounts are local users of the laptop (1 user, 1 admin), whereas the other two are part of a Windows Domain (1 user, 1 admin).

Each day I log on to the local administrator and join the computer to the domain when I arrive at work, I then log off and log on as the domain user. Upon returning home I then log on as the local adminstrator and join the computer to my home workgroup, I then log off and log on to my local user account.

The issue occurs when attempting to set the Default Mail Application for each restricted user. My local users default mail application should be Mozilla Thunderbird, whereas my domain users default mail app should be Microsoft Outlook 2000 (uses Exchange Server 2000 for mail collection).

However, whenever I log on to my local user and start Thunderbird I am asked whether I want to set it as default, I tick the "Don't ask me again" and hit "Yes". If I then close and restart Thunderbird (same account, same logon) it asks the same question again and again and again.

When I then log on to my domain users account (after joining the domain with my admin account) the default mail application is set as Thunderbird even though it has been previously set to Outlook. Of course, when I open Outlook it asks the same question regarding defaults, I respond positively, and guess what. Yes, the local users default mail app is also set to Outlook!

The user accounts share the same username and password, but I don't see why one should effect the other.

Does anyone have any idea how I can ensure this doesn't continue to occur?

Thanks in advance.

Ahdkaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back