Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc88

Technical User
Oct 16, 2001
NL
Hi,

In our comapny we have people dialing in when they are out of the office. This causes that when they come into the office and connect their laptop to the network, internet wants to connect through the dial in connection instead of the network.

Is there a policy or setting that can stop this.

Kind Regards.
Jacob Cats

If using GP in the office you can set the Internet explorer option to whatever you need for whoever is in the OU.

When the user logs in at home without the GP, the internet explorer options should resort back to its original state it was left in before gps were applied

you could also try hardware profiles

1 for the office (modem disabled and IE configured for office)

2. for out of office (modem enabled and IE configured for modem use etc)

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Thanks, but which policy setting is this exactly.
Is it the user config -> use automatic detection for dial up connections.

The reason I'm asking is that I don't have time to test, and users are shouting at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Jacob Cats Jacob Cats

System support analyst

in GP goto
user config
windows settings
internet explorer maintenance
connection
connection settings
select import current connections etc
select modify settings and set it the way it should be for users on the LAN
then goto to select LAN settings button on the bottom
configure it as you need etc etc "Work to live, don't live to work"

Not sure where this would be in GP, but it sounds like you need to correct the settings in IE>tools>options>CONNECTIONS They've probably all got "always dial a connection" selected as opposed to "dial whenever a network connection is not present" I'm sure there's some way to set that in a policy, but as thats not my area at work i'm not sure exactly where!

Sorry,
I only see remote installation services under user configuration -> windows settings.

Jacob Cats

System support analyst

are you viewing the GP under "Active Directory users and computers" at the server (and logged in as an administrator)?

all the they should all be there as these security templates are installed by default

"Work to live, don't live to work"

No, your right i tried it from my workstation with, when i connected to the server I discovered a lot more options.

Thanks for your help.

Jacob Cats

System support analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back