Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default gateway and dns server setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvi

Technical User
May 26, 2003
NL
I have a question about configuring IP. on my Local area connection properties screen, tcp/ip properties I want to set IP settings manually. Computer A is with knoppix (linux), exists of 2 networkcards. Networkcard A (ip addres; 192.168.1.13) has a connection with a router and is automatically configured. With networdcard B, I connect it through a hub to my laptop. The idea is that my laptop can have connection with computer A and with internetconnection through computer A. example: networkcard B, I configured manually with ip address: 192.168.1.15, subnetmask: 255.255.255.0. My laptop's networkcard I set also manually with ipaddress: 192.168.1.17, subnetmask: 255.255.255.0, and default gateway (i don't know what to input) and neither preferred dns server and alternate dns server.

Network card B and your laptop need to be on a different subnet. I would use 192.168.2.#. Don't set a default gateway at all on card B, and on your laptop, set the IP on card B as your default gateway. Leave card A the way it is.

The way you have it, both sides of your routing box have the same network, so traffic will not route across the interfaces. Only the card that will communicate with non-local networks needs to have a default-gateway.

ShackDaddy

I did what you suggested. I can ping from each other but I cannot connect to the internet from my laptop. I tried to setup in menu Tools/Internet Options.../Connections but still it cannot. something with dhcp? If I ipconfig /all in my laptop then 'dhcp enabled' is shown to 'no'. Any idea? Thanks

Set up your laptop with a static address in the same network that your Knoppix Card B is in, like 192.168.2.6 , and set the address of the Knoppix card B as the default gateway.

The problem may be that your router (not the Knoppix box) doesn't know about the internal network on the other side of the Knoppix. You need to add a static route to your router telling it that it can reach 192.168.2.0/24 by sending traffic to 192.168.1.13.

Once you've done that, you'll be able to route both directions, as long as your Knoppix box is routing across the two interfaces.

ShackDaddy

how do you add a static route telling that it can reach 192.168.2.0/24 by sending traffic to 192.168.1.13?

What kind of router do you have? Most routers allow you to add routes if you search the interface.

I have draytek vigor 2300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back