Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default fonts in Tcl and Tk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevans141

Technical User
Oct 24, 2008
US
Our SAs just rebuilt all of our SunOS and Linux boxes. All the TCL tools I had developed will come up but the font is the dingbat font set. Unless I explicitly set each button, label, radiobutton, etc. with "-font = $font" (which I defint at the top to "helvetica 9"), I get the funky characters. Also, I can't figure out how to manually set the fonts for things like tk_chooseDirectory. These are coming up with the dingbat char set.

Is there a way to set the fonts one time at a system level with some sort of environmental? What can I look for that might have changed whatever it is that is causing this? I've written over a hundred scripts and I don't want to have to change the all.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Scott E.

After the re-build, is this just a Tcl problem? Do other app's still have the fonts they did before? What about the Tcl Shell, is that messed up too?

I have to admit that I don't know of any system setting that's different for Tcl than for other programs.

It just seems to be Tcl/Tk. Even the demo widgets are scrsmbled. All the other apps and GUIs seem fine. (I didn't know there was a tcl chell. Tell me more.)

Scott E.

The Tcl shell is an interactive console that interprets Tcl (not Tk; that's the WISH shell). Usually, just type "tclsh" and you'll get it. Also try "wish" to see if that's messed up, too.

From the sound of it, Tk, or possibly Tcl as well, is using default font reference that no longer exists on your machines, or has been mapped to something different than it had been. I'm sorry, but I just don't know what that might be. What version of Tcl are you running (and try a later/earlier one to see if that changes things)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back