Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Email Client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Hello everyone!

PS 4.0 / Win2k3 / SP2 (Exchange 2003 environement)
I publish a desktop which includes Outlook 2003. Servers are load balanced of course...

My issue is that (coming soon) I will have (say 1/2) of my users on one server using Outlook 2003 (with Exchange) and the other half of users (on the same server) NOT using outlook, but instead a hosted Email program via IE.

My question is this: How can I control (on a per user basis) which program opens for their "Default Email Client"...? I only know of one place: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command]. I think this sets it for everyone... which I don't want to do...

Many Thanks!!
Brandon

bran2235,
I would simply publish two desktops.
1 with outlook and the other one without outlook.

I don't think you can set a default mail application for each individual user using 1 published application.

Hope that helps.
Thanks.

Thanks Enigma,

But here's my problem... Anytime a user that is using any of the two published desktops clicks a hyperlink (i.e. myaddress@domain.com), I need for 1/2 of the people to have their Outlook New Message Window open and the other 1/2 have their hosted mail open up... I know where to control this in the registry: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command].

BUT I think this sets it for the entire server, not on an individual basis, right? Is there anyway to do this?

Ohhh, are you suggesting that I publish one desktop (meaning a group of servers (Group A), and then publish another desktop on a different group (Group B) of servers?

Sorry, just getting my coffee!

bran2235,
Yes...that is what I'm saying.
that way you can manage the desktop and who has access to those published applications.

I've done that in the past and it works pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to 'segment' our servers that way... Rather, I hoped I could set this on a per user basis...

But it looks like that's the only way...

Thanks for your help!
Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back