Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default cache issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I'm having the below issue with one of my sybase servers:-

00:00000:00278:2007/04/23 20:11:46.08 server The 2K memory pool of named cache default data cache (cache id 0, cachelet id 1
) is configured too small for current demands (state 2). Transaction progress may cease or response time may increase.

can someone tell me how I resove this issue?

Check your buffer cache hit ratio. If it is below 90% you need more memory for your database.

- Paul
10qkyfp.gif

- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

I, too, am experiencing this problem.

So, here are my questions regarding this issue:

1) What query/command can I run in isql to confirm the current size of my "memory pool of named cache default data cache" to which this diagnostic refers?

2) What are typical production sizes that we should use for this memory structure?

3) Can I change the size of this memory structure "on-the-fly" (i.e., with an isql command) without bouncing the Sybase database instance? And, if so, what is the syntax for that command?

4) If I cannot change the size "on-the-fly", then a) in which parameter/configuration-parameters file do I make the parameter change, and b) what is an example of the parameter specification that would modify the size of this memory structure?

Thanks,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Paul,

Thank you for that link. I have read it, and it offers some interesting background for this issue.

Are you aware of one or more links that individually, or collectively, address/answer my questions, above?

Thanks, Paul (and others that may respond).

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Dave,
no problem,
To answer Question #1
Have you tried sp_sysmon?

Question #2 depends on how busy your server is. My Sybase server is very small so I really haven't messed with this much.

Also to answer your Question #3. No, You have to make the change then restart the services.

Here is a link to explain sp_sysmon.

To answer question #4 you want to change your config.txt
here is an example.

- Paul
10qkyfp.gif

- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back