Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default broswer page setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I just installed IE and Firefox. The left and right margin of IE are both 0.75". The left and right margin of Firefox are both 0.5". Are they the default page setup for IE and Firefox?

This seems to be a very simple question. But I cannot find any documentation about it.

I am designing a web site and I need visitors to be able to print out each page without cut-off. I assume that most web surfers do not change their browser page setup. So the default page setup should be the most popular ones.

By the way, just for the printing purpose, what is the most popular page width, 600 or 650?

Thanks.

Seaport

I just installed IE and Firefox. The left and right margin of IE are both 0.75". The left and right margin of Firefox are both 0.5". Are they the default page setup for IE and Firefox?

I would have thought that if you have just installed them, then the page setups you are seeing would have to be the defaults. What else could they be?!

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

Dan,

In the world of Internet, I do not take anything for granted. Bascially, this is a poll. Could you tell me the default page margin of the IE or FF on your computer?

Thanks.

Seaport

For Firefox (which I'm fairly sure I've not modified since I installed it), the margins are all 12.7mm.

For IE 6 (which I may well have modified, so these may not really be conclusive), the margins are all 19.05mm.

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

Mozilla - 0.5 inches
IE - 19.05 milimeters
Opera - 2.5 centimeters at top, 1.5 cm everywhere else

I don't think I ever changed any of the settings.

More important than the variety of margin widths might be the variety of paper sizes. One side of the Atlantic typically use "letter" size paper, the other uses a taller, narrower format called "A4". That could really mess up your calculations.

In theory, you can control the width of margins on printed media using CSS - see . However, I don't know how widely supported these properties are (my guess would be that IE definitely won't support them, FF and Opera probably do).

Is there any particular reason why you're expecting visitors to want to print out your pages? If it's actually just one or two particular pages - a paper form to fill in and mail, for example, maybe you'd be better off using a PDF?

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back