Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEES Backup Telephones Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelMUHC

Technical User
Aug 12, 2006
CA
On some of our Successions we have backup telephones. In the event of a COMPLETE shutdown of the system, analog trunks are switched to predesignated analog telephones in key areas. The transfer is automatic if there is a complete shutdown and it is also possible to activate the transfer manually by the toggle switches on the DEES modules. The problem is that you have to be on site to activate manually if it's not a complete system shutdown and you want to activate the backup telephones.

Anybody aware of a remote system that would allow to call a business line number, enter a code and UNPLUG a telephone jack ? This would have the same effect as manually activating the toggle switch.

Claude
McGill Univ. Health Centre

To me, there are too many types of system problems that won't set off a DEES box, so I just install Centrex type lines in strategic areas, permanently. After time or due to turnover, people don't know what jack is for what anyways.

If the power was down and the UPS ran out or didn't work, I'm not sure what system would be left standing to call into and perform an IVR command to switch the lines.

I think creating the "electronic switch" would be pretty easy though. You might even get some ideas by looking into home automation systems, where people call in to turn on the heat or cooling. Alarm/security companies might have such a device too. You'd just have to extend the switch out of the DEES box and into their remote control unit.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back