Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deep cleaning phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainbear

Programmer
Sep 27, 2009
CA
Does anyone take apart M series phones in the field? I have a customer that has EXTREEMLY dirty phones. Most are likely filled with dust and grindings from a heavy equipment shop. The 4 phones (M7208 and M7310) have been in the shop for years and the owner is insisting they need to be taken apart to be cleaned properly. Taking them off site is not feasible so they will need a deep clean onsite.
This is the same owner who insisted I mount his CICS upside down to avoid having a door hit it, (one side of the case is thicker than the other and he would not allow me to relocate it).

You certainly have a nice customer!. Best bet is to use a can of compressed air to try and dislodge the dirt. I would unplug it first. Once you have removed most of the muck, then carefully remove the keypad. I think it has a rubber membraine to lift up. You will find more muck in there.

With the air compressor, you will need to let it dry out for a few minutes. Best of luck.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I take them apart all the time & can fix most problems by doing an internal cleaning. If I can't do it on-site, I leave the client with another phone & take to the workbench. If it's repairable I charge for it. If not, they are billed for a new phone. Clients are told this at the time.

For the keypad membrane, I use a toothbrush & if needed a mild spray cleaner, then brush it, wipe it dry and wait a few minutes before reassembly.

If the buttons are filthy as well, I'll soak them and let them sit. I always have parts so I'll put on new or clean old buttons then clean the other ones when time permits.

Considering you can buy M7XXX phones for about $50.00 with 1 year warranty is it really worth your time to take them apart and clean them? Time to put on your salesman cap and convince your customer it's cheaper to replace them.

Marv ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back