Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dedupe numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByronStyro

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2004
CA
Hey all.

I've been running Commvault for over 2 years and started using dedupe about 2 months ago. Seems to be working very well, but I don't trust the numbers as reported by the Policy/Properties/Dedupe tab. The CS library status shows less free space available than is accounted for in the storage policy dedupe info.

I have a pretty simple setup with a single policy for each of two mag libs.

Library1
SP Dedupe tab 4.98TB
CS Library used space 7.5TB

Library2
SP Dedupe tab 6.72TB
CS Library used space 13.5TB

I tried running various reports, but I can't get the reported numbers to match.

Anyone else seeing this? Management is after me for reports, but since I am seeing discrepancies in the used space numbers, I can't report accurately on just what dedupe is doing for my site.

Thanks.

Solved.

There was old backup data on the drives that was not visible to Commvault. Looking at the disks from the MA revealed the data.

Called support and they had me run a SQL script and then run Data Aging twice. Disk space cleared up. 10TB of space available.

Hello,
Run a Storage Policy report from your reports. It'll give you the Dedup numbers for each Storage Policy.
Size of Application, Space Occupied on Media and Space SAved along with your Percentage saved. You can pretty much confirm roughly the space on your drives to the Space Occupied On Media. Also depending on your new Store creation point ie 60 -90 days when the period ends and a new Store is created then your first run will have of your data the first time and then begin the DeDup on subsequent backups. Good Luck
Mitmont

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back