Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dedicatd Svr Domain 2nd Static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

incron

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
US
Guys I have a dedicated server running svr 2003 iis6. I have tried everything I cant get the 2nd domain up and running. I did the standard setup including DNS zone records (using the wizard) cross referenced them against the first domain.

Everything looks the same I have the 2nd domain on its own static IP. So I have 2 domains with two distinct Ip addresses and I still cant get the 2nd domain to come up. It has been over a week it should have propagated by now.

What I keep getting in Firefox is "Cant find server". The domain is any suggestions would be great.

itsp1965

thanks for the quick reply - yes id did same result

Are you trying to access it from the outside using the public IP, or are you internally trying to access it using the public IP. Have you tested it locally to see if the site is up? In other words did you (without having much visibility to your enviornment);

1. Test locally on the server to see if it comes up.
2. Are you able to access it from another node on your internal network using your internally assigned IP address.
3. If the above is working, do you have a firewall setup either locally on your server or through an actual hardware firewall that may be blocking traffic
4. Is the IP assigned internally in the same subnet?

Hi itsp1965

the local host brought up the 1st domain not the second. I done have a firewall installed yet. there is no internal network. Im connecting to the dedicated server using Remote Desktop. The domain is on the same dedicated server as the first Domain with a seperate Ip address.

Can you check your original website to ensure that it's only using the one IP address as opposed All assigned IPs. Also you need to make sure that your server is listening on port 80 for the second IP.

budgetengineers.com has an issue with DNS to start with it shows as being registered with two DNS servers
Domain Name: BUDGETENGINEERS.COM
Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.BUDGETENGINEERS.COM
NS2.BUDGETENGINEERS.COM
But a ping cannot resolve the domain name so it is not propogating to any other DNS servers.

itsb1965 / tlcscousin

Thanks for your continued involvement in this:

I have set the first domain from all Unassigned to the specific static Ip for that domain. - no change. But then I double-checked something

There is a control panel provided by the ISP and in the panel I have the following DNS records setup

NS1.BUDGETENGINEERS.COM
NS2.BUDGETENGINEERS.COM

this is exactly like the first domain - which also have two DNS listing setup as follows

NS1.PARCHMENTSEARCH.COM
NS2.PARCHMENTSEARCH.COM

In the control panel there is also a Host name setup -which is the first 3 letter prefix of the DNS meaning NS1 or NS2

I think the mistake I made was naming both domains with the same Host names of NS1 and NS2 - I think BudgetEngineers whould be NS3 and NS4 - please let me know if I'm making sense

the format of ns1.budgetengineers.com and ns2 is fine but DNS is not setup or is not active if DNS is working and propagating to other DNS servers you would be able to ping budgetengineers.com and it would resolve to an IP address. It does not and neither does pinging the ns1.budgetengineers.com or ns2 which indicates to me DNS is not setup properly or is not active for the domain.

Hey guys I solved part of the problem.

I had not added the static IP to the NIC of the server. But now when I attempt to go to BudgetEngineers.com it goes to the first domain instead.

I notice in the TCP/IP properties dialog box for the NIC only one IP address is allowed the one currently listed is for the first domain – ParchmentSearch.com. So what do I need to change in IIS6 or DNS to be able to see both domains…???

When I ping I now get the proper IPAddress which is 173.201.28.192 but if I go to the browser and type in it trys to find parchmentsearch.com instead.

Guys quick update I have an ssl on port 80. I just put the 2nd domain on port 80 as well and it came up. But is that safe. Could it be a matter of ports thats causing the problem at this point. that SSL is using port 80 and the primary domain is using port 8888 I tried putting BudgetEnginners.com on port 8890 but it didn't work.

Is it safe to have a domain on the same port as the SSL redirect...?

Sorry Guys I must have been pushing too many buttons - staring at the screen too long I should have known you cant put 2 domains on the same port (same IP) but not same port. IE had the page in cash I still cant bring the domain up successfully while the 1st installed domain and the SSL is running. In case your confused here is what I have:

1 domain with a redirect SSL on port 80 with the primary domain its redirected to on port 8888 with a IP address of 173 201 28 191

When I attempt to bring up the second domain it either wont come up or is redirected to the first domain. Im going to wipe the 2nd domain and reinstall the DNS from scratch using port 81 on the IIS

7:34 PM 9/15/2011

Guys I keep adding to the thread but because as of yet I still don't see an option to edit or update a thread.

Anyway, please tell me if what I am seeing is possible I have the 2nd domain and the SSL on two different static IPs but sharing the same port.

I am nowhere near a wiz on it but in the properties of the NIC internet protocol advanced you have the option to add the second IP address to the network card.
The domain now is reachable from the Internet as i can now see the webpage.

tlcscousin / itsp1965

thanks for all of your help and input - it will not be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back