Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decyphering fields based on another tables information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjconrep

Technical User
Oct 24, 2000
US
I have two tables one table is called BuyerGuideCodes and the other is called BuyerGuideCodesDescriptions.

Below is a sample record of table BuyerGuideCodes:
ID:
COMPANY:
CJ Systems Aviation Group
CodeID:
SS, OP, AS, AL, AN, AO, BS, GA, HD, IT, RO, PS, TR, MK

The table BuyerGuideCodesDescriptions has a description for each value in the CodeID field for table BuyerGuideCodes.
Sample data from BuyerGuideCodesDescriptions:
ID CodeID CodeDescription
42 SS Air Medical Support Services

I need the field CodeID in BuyerGuideCodes to be broken out and decyphered based on the information from table BuyerGuideCodesDescriptions.
I have the following query written but I have to create muliple fields and then repeat the query to many times. There has got to be an easier way. HELP!
UPDATE BuyerGuideCodes SET CodeDescription14 = MID(CodeDescription14,1,INSTR(1,CodeDescription14,", ")), CodeDescription15 = MID(CodeDescription14,INSTR(1,CodeDescription14, ", ")+1)
WHERE INSTR(1,CodeDescription14,", ");

You should not have comma-delimited data in a single field.
Your buyer's guide codes should have one entry per code id. Something like:
id compcode codeid
1 1 SS
2 1 OP

57 2 SS

Then a separate company table (if you don't already have one):
id name
1 CJ Systems Aviation Group
2 Other company name

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Yes, I know but this is how I received the data. Any suggestions?

I think I understand the starting data.
What are your expected results? Do you want another field with comma-delimited descriptions to match those in CodeId?
You could write a public function, pass the CodeID string, use the Split() function, lookup the answers and return a string (or a var) and write a memo field. ...or...

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

I want a seperate field for each description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back