Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decoding a Binary File

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbro

Programmer
Nov 12, 2004
US
Hi everyone,

I have a BIL file containing an elevation grid that was compressed in a method I'm not familiar with. I'm trying to decode it so that I can write it to a plain ASCII file.

I read it using Dim b() As Byte = IO.File.ReadAllBytes("Filepath") and have attempted to run it through the decoders but each time the output is useless characters.

People at my office say that it is a popular method of compression for numerical data, but can't seem to recall which one so it's a little frustrating.

Does anyone know of any ways to find out what decoder is needed or has any ideas on other methods I could try to get at the data.

Cheers,
Mike

You'll likely need to ask whoever sent you the file what compression algorithm they used. Or what program they used to create it.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back