Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

decode in an update statement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lel75

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
US
Can you please tell me if I am using decode correctly in this update statement? I am trying to compare a new and an old value in a trigger code and if the old value is not null and the new value is null, I would like for the value inserted into the table to be blank and not the value 'NULL'. If the new student_id is not null, then to just insert the real value.

ELSE
IF :)old.student_flag = 'ACTIVE') AND :)new.student_flag = 'ACTIVE') THEN
IF NVL:)old.student_id, 'NULL') <> NVL:)new.student_id, 'NULL') THEN
UPDATE test.test_student
SET student_id = DECODE:)new.student_id, 'NULL', '', :new.student_id)
WHERE student_num = :eek:ld.student_num;

Thanks for your help in advance!

Lel,

Your &quot;IF&quot; statement [&quot;IF NVL:)old.student_id, 'NULL')...&quot;] is actually a very clever way to determine if &quot;:eek:ld.student_id&quot; is different from &quot;:new.student_id&quot;, but your DECODE statement makes me believe that you misunderstand the nature and use of NULL.

Your DECODE statement as it is coded presently is not checking if :new.student_id is NULL; it is checking to see if it contains the four characters &quot;N-U-L-L&quot;; and if it does contain those four characters, the DECODE inserts the zero-length absence of value, '', which is identical to the zero-length absence of value, NULL.

I cannot see any evidence that :new.student_id ever contains the four-character string &quot;N-U-L-L&quot;, nor does your code do what you specified in your original thread specification, &quot;... I would like for the value inserted into the table to be blank and not the value 'NULL'...&quot; Your code is inserting a zero-length absence of value. And lastly, I don't believe what you really want in your data is a &quot;blank space&quot;, either. In the Oracle world, use of a &quot;blank space character&quot; (a one-byte ASCII value 32) to represent the absence of value is a &quot;No-no&quot;.

So, even though your use of DECODE is syntactically okay, I believe you don't want or need the DECODE. You will be fine (in Oracle terms) to just say,
&quot;...UPDATE test.test_student
SET student_id = :new.student_id
WHERE student_num = :eek:ld.student_num;&quot;

I'm guessing that you will have a response to my assertions above.

Cheers,

Dave
Sandy, Utah, USA @ 00:09 GMT, 17:09 Mountain Time

Dave,

Thank you for the prompt reply. This site is great! Yes, your response is exactly what I'm looking for. I was confused with the DECODE and now that you've explained it, things are alot clearer. Again thanks for the excellent support.

lel75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back