Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decimal tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfmcd

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
08/22/03

I've been trying to figure out how to set decimal tabs in WP 8. Printed out the "Help" instructions and just can't seem to make it work. Can someone help a dummy.

Thanks, Jim

The easiest way to use tabs (of all kinds) in WP8 is to use the ruler bar.

If the ruler bar is not displayed, click View then Ruler.

With the ruler bar displayed, you can remove existing tabs, if desired, by individually dragging them off of the ruler bar and dropping them. You can also clear all of the existing tabs by right-clicking in the narrow white space below the ruler where the triangles appear, then choose Clear All Tabs.

To set up a decimal tab (or any other type for that matter, right click in that same narrow white space and choose the desired tab type. Then decide where to place the tab and click on the ruler bar at that point to set it. When you create subsequent tab stops, the tab type remains the same until you change it or exit.

One more item. Changing tabs only affects stuff that come after the change and before any subsequent tab changes in your document. In other words, pay attention to where the cursor is in your document when you change tabs. The change only affects stuff from the position of the cursor downward. If you want the same tabs set up for your whole document, be sure to be at the top of the document (with the cursor, not just scrolling up there) when you make the changes.

BlackburnKL

Thanks for your reply Blackburn, I finally (after hours of messing around) figured out how to do it. I was trying to set the tabs on the top ruler (view\show ruler) by clicking down in the document. I didn't know about the ruler that would show up in the body of the document. When I got it to work it's just great. I can't believe I've been producing crumby columns in WP 8 documents for seven or eight years.

Thanks again, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back