Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decimal Number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGeek21

Technical User
Dec 12, 2007
US
Hi,

I need a formula that will force a number field not to round. It seems because of settings in File -> Options -> Fields tab -> Number -> Number tab my formula field is rounding to 2 decimal places. I need the full 4 decimal number to show. Cavaet is that this ends up displaying in a TEXT field. So, I can't just change the format of this field to show 4 decimals. I also can't change the Option settings - using Crystal on a Citrix server.

So, looking for a formula that can override the Option settings and will give me an unrounded 4 digit decimal. Tried ToText([field], "0.0000") and tried Truncate([field], 4) - neither work.

Thanks!

FireGeek
(currently using Crystal Reports XI with Lawson 9.01)

If you have a number field, you should be able to set the number of decimals (look for the .00 with an curved arrow). If you do not want to round a all, you can use the Truncate function in a formula. i.e., Truncate({Somefield},4).

This number field is actually part of another formula that has to display as a text. I can't use the formating option you suggest and as I previously mentioned, Truncate doesn't work.

FireGeek

Can't you truncate it before you convert it to text. If you are using totext, you can format the number.

As stated above, I have tried Truncate([field], 4). No success.

FireGeek

Seems to me that you'll have numbers (like 1.12345) formatted NUMBERS (like $1.12) and TEXT (like "$1.12")

The formatted number $1.12, still has an underlying value of 1.12345. Simply formatting a number does not change anything, except what is displayed. But a number is not equal to a TEXT value!

So is this what we're are talking about?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

I have a FTE field that goes up to 4 decimal places. So, I have values of 1.0, .5, .75, .875, .5678. When I put this field in a report, the data with > 2 decimal places actually rounds - no formula, it rounds. If I format the field to 4 decimal places, it displays properly.

So, I have a formula field of ToText(Truncate({EMPLOYEE.FTE_TOTAL},4), "0.0000") because our vendor wants this field (and all the other fields in the report) to be text fields, right padded with a set amount of spaces, and for the report to be exported in a specific format. Unfortunately, my 0.875 is now showing as "0.8800 " and my 0.5678 is showing as "0.5700 ". I tried formatting the field. When the field is in here individually, it works find but then I can't right pad with spaces. I really need it to NOT round by itself.

Thoughts???

Tammy

FireGeek

Well text and numbers are totally different animals. If you round 0.875 to 2 places, as a number it will display as 0.88, as opposed to using ToText with .0000, you'll see "0.8800"

Skip,
[sub]

@Skip, I know about rounding rules. I DO NOT want it to round and it is rounding.
- The actual data is 0.875
- Put field directly into the report and it shows 0.88
- My formula is showing 0.8800

*** I want to see 0.8750. I DO NOT ROUNDING. The Truncate([field], 4) is NOT working. I can't just format the field because it is to be part of a formula that pads spaces after it.

UGH!

FireGeek

If I format the field to 4 decimal places, it displays properly."

????

Skip,
[sub]

OK - so, how do you pad spaces at the end of it so I get "0.8750 " ??

FireGeek

You're confusing TEXT with NUMBER

Trailing & leading ZEROS are meaningless as NUMBERS

Skip,
[sub]

Skip, It's not difficult... I have a number I need to convert to a text field so I can pad with spaces at the end. This is a file specification I did not write. PROBLEM: My number is rounding and I DO NOT WANT IT TO ROUND BEFORE I CONVERT IT TO TEXT USING ToText FUNCTION AND THEN PAD WITH SPACES!

@Skip, Please stop posting if you just want to keep arguing with me. I have been creating complicated Crystal Reports for many years. I am not a beginner user. I suspect this is a bug or too simple that I can't see the solution. Please read my requirements and what I have tried. Seems you are ignoring both.

FireGeek

totext({YourNumberField},4) works for me with all your example figures.

And I second your emotion.

THANK YOU BETTYJ!!!

The link provided some great information for what I needed to do. I ended up moifying it and now I have a solution that is working!!!

What the link didn't use that I ended up using was WhilePrintingRecords. There must be something going on with the order of processing. As mentioned initially, we have settings in File -> Options -> Fields tab -> Number -> Number tab that sets all numbers to a 2 digit decimal. I believe this is what was causing my rounding issue. I also believe this setting was preventing ToText([field], "0.0000") from working. Maybe in the grand order of processing, the "WhilePrintingRecords" is what helps???

I have used WhileReadingRecords and WhilePrintingRecords in the past. LBASS's formula in the link did not use either of these but I did. My end result that is working for me:

Code:
WhilePrintingRecords;
StringVar x   := ToText({EMPLOYEE.FTE_TOTAL}, 4, "");

x;

Thank you Betty J for the direction! It was good code I will keep for future reference!

Tammy

FireGeek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back