Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

debugging vb6 office add-in on Vista (admin vs non-admin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoder

Programmer
Jun 21, 2010
US
Wow...haven't been here in so long I had to re-register!

I'm working on modifying an office add-in that was written in VB6. It does not work on Vista unless the user has admin rights. I think this is due to the fact that it is using getsetting() and savesetting() to write to the registry and I know how to fix this. (This may not be the only problem but I figure since it's going to have to be changed eventually anyway, I might as well start there)

The problem is that in order to debug it properly, I need to be running as a non-admin user but VB6 has to be run as an admin. I've tried logging in as the non-admin user and then right-clicking VB6 to run as administrator but when I try to start the com I get the error:

"The class is configured to run as a security id different from the caller."

So apparently that's not going to work. Anyone got another suggestion?

Is the office version the same from the previous install as it is on the Vista machine?
For example, is the previous install using Office 2003 and Vista using Office 2007? If this is the case, the VB6 reference may need to be changed or updated.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back