Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debugging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stovio

Programmer
Mar 20, 2002
SE
Hi,

This is quite anoying:
When watching my web page through an ordinary MS explorer process everything works fine but when i try to debug it i get this error pointing at my database connection:

An exception of type 'Microsoft JET Database Engine: Undefined error' was not handled

My database connection is fine (conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & server.mappath("mydb.mdb")

The strange thing is that after this i get the same error (Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
Undefined error) when watching the page outside interdev also. The only thing i have found out to be working to get the page working again is to reinstall iis. So in other words; debugging crashes my page. Any ideas why?

I use Visual Interdev 6, iis 5.1 and access 2002

Thanks in advance!

/H

You have to reinstall IIS or you have to shut it down and then restart it? You say that the page works just fine before you attempt to debug it, but after you try to debug it, you cannot access the page again until you fix IIS? (This almost sounds like it isn't being closed or something similar.) And it is breaking on the line that establishes your connection?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
--Dou

You have to reinstall IIS or you have to shut it down and then restart it?"
I have to reinstall it, shutting it down and restarting it is not enough.

"You say that the page works just fine before you attempt to debug it, but after you try to debug it, you cannot access the page again until you fix IIS?"
right.

"And it is breaking on the line that establishes your connection?"
right.

"This almost sounds like it isn't being closed or something similar"
You might be right on the spot there. I got it to work by making sure to not open the page in any process before doing so in the debug process after reinstalling iis. This might indicate that som recordsets or such have not been properly closed, right?
Note that i only get the debugging to work once per visual interdev session. I have to close and restart it to get it to work again. If anyone has an explanation to that as well i will be happy to hear it.

/H

When you attempt to debug and it hangs, then you have opened a connection and never closed it, which is why it always hangs up afterward. Notice that the problem never occurs before you attempt to debug.

However, I have no idea why it is making you reinstall IIS each time. Nor am I truly certain as to why it should break when establishing the connection during debug... Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. <shrug>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
--Dou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back