Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debugging COM+ Objects locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotsonmw

Programmer
Feb 8, 2003
US
Is it possible to debug a COM+ object on a local machine? I have InterDev 6.0 installed locally on a Windows XP Professional machine. I am also running IIS 5.0. When I try debugging a web application that contains a call to a COM+ object (which I have added to Component Services on the local machine), it throws an exception. I have been told that COM+ cannot work on a local machine, but only on a server.

I am trying to debug a web application locally (including the COM+ object) and then move it over to the production web server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you registered the component on the local machine? I also use a component and do testing/debugging on my local machine (set up as the server), so should not think there would be a problem. However, I use 2000 Pro, not XP, so not sure if there are differences in that regard.

Incidentally, what is th exception that is being thrown?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't explain something to a six-year-old, you really don't understand it yourself."
-- Albert Einstein

I have tried registering the DLL using this command :

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msrpts.dll

When I step through the ASP code, I get this message when it tries to instantiate the COM+ object as follows

set IPRD = Server.CreateObject("MSRpts01.cMSRpts")

An exception of type 'Server object:006~ASP 0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~Invalid class string' was not handled.

I have been looking for some kind of document\instructions on how to debug locally. I had found another threda in which you had helped someone with a similar problem, which helped me greatly to get Interdev to debug locally. Any sugestions?

Using the MS Knowledge Base, this is the first result that is returned with that error message:

There may be some other articles that can help, but see where this leads. I'll try to do some more research later as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't explain something to a six-year-old, you really don't understand it yourself."
-- Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back