Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debugger References

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottian

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
GB
For years now ive used the debug window without any problems, but recently it stopped working (my base unit was changed). I was pulling my hair out for a couple of days but i suddenly remembered about the reference tools. I think im on the right track but not certain. Can anyone tell me if im right and which references will fix this problem

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ambition..........If you dont use it, you wont lose it

Maybe it's just something I'm unaware of, but I haven't a clue as to what you're asking. Are you wanting to know how to enable/show the debugger window? And by that, do you mean the "Immediate" window?

If so, there are 2 ways I know of off hand:
[OL][LI]Select the View Menu in the VB Editor window, then select "Immediate Window"[/LI]
[LI]Press <Ctrl> and <G> keys on your keyboard while the VB Window is the active window on your screen.[/LI]
[/OL]

Is that what you're talking about? Or is it something else? As far as "the reference tools", do you mean... Tools -> References? That's something else altogether..

Or are you talking about Debugging within your code? Something like:

Code:
Private Sub Howdy()
  Dim strGreeting as String
  strGreeting = "It's Howdy Doody Time!"
  Debug.Print strGreeting
End Sub

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Sorry about the vagueness of my post. The debug window opens without a problem. The action im trying to do worked in the past without a problem. But the base unit was changed, now it doesnt work. I dont get any error message, nothing happens. But I remember a few years ago having a problem and being told it may be the references. So I checked the reference pane and there are only three references checked, 'Visual basic for applications', 'Microsoft Access 8.0 Object Library' and 'Microsoft DAO 3.51 Object Library'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ambition..........If you dont use it, you wont lose it

Well, yes, you have to have the correct references for your code, and yes that can change from one computer to the next.

How about telling us some actual detail about your error messages, and perhaps we can go from there.

The action I'm trying to do worked in the past without a problem.
We don't know what action, and therefore are clueless as to what you need to fix.

Tell us what you're trying to do, what error(s) you're getting, and if it's happening at a certain spot in your code, post that code along with any relevant code (for instance, if it's for a piece of code way down in a procedure, but you Dimmed the variables at the beginning, be sure to include that. If you're not sure, include the whole procedure(s), but try to document everything, pointing out where the problem is, etc...

The better the information you give in your question, the better chance you've got at getting an answer in any forum.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back