Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debug problem, No Symbols have been loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

petermeachem

Programmer
Aug 26, 2000
GB
This is on a windows forms project 'upgraded' from Visual Studio Express to Visual Studio 2008.

It will not stop on breakpoints. I've spent half the morning trawling through web pages and tried many of the suggested solutions with no effect. One suggested the debug or configuration settings on the build menu, but I don't seem to have those available.

I would be very grateful if someone could help on this.

Sounds like you project is compiling to Release configuration instead of Debug. If you right-click on the menu bar, do you have a Build toolbar available? Another option to change your configuration setting is to double-click My Project, then on the Compile tab you can change it from Release to Debug.

I changed the build output path to debug on the Compile tab, still won't stop on breakpoints.
I do have a Build menu and toolbar

How about Compile > Advanced Compile Options > Generate debug info's value?

If you create a new project, will it stop on a breakpoint?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Sorry, i was pulled off onto other things.
Generate debug info's value. I don't have that value, just none, pdb or full. None made any difference.
A new programme stops on breakpoints.
I'm going to create a new project, that should fix it, just a big nuisance.
Thanks for your help

Well I did all that. It was exactly the same. The good news is i've fixed it.
What it didn't like was being on the network drive I was using. It was a drive that is a function of the logged in user. Perfectly fine with visual studio express, not with 2005.
I've moved it to a more conventional mapped drive and it is just fine.
[Insert massive rant about rubbish Microsoft, this has taken me ages to fix. I just have to put back all the stuff i removed in case that was causing the problem]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back