Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debug error-vdd in registry is wrong format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunstriker

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
Hiya
Heres a real tough one.
I just bought Command and Conquer Renegade but when I run it I get a message that says "a debugger is running close it and retry!!"
This error can relate to either copy protection or some kind of vxd problem.
\Well I have in event log 1 which says a VDD is in the wrong format in the registry.
What can I do about this please?
Sun

sunstriker,

When you get that "Program is being debugged..." error, it's because at least part of it is still processing, and usually, it's means a reboot.

Your program may not be compatible with Win2k, or you may have installed it, together with it's VDD without sufficient permission to create the registry keys.

Sometimes, even if you are logged onto a local account that's a member of the local Administrator's group, the registry keys don't get created with all the correct permissions.

Uninstall the program, log on as Administrator, and reinstall it.

To verify registry key permissions, click "Start", then "Run", then type: "regedt32", and hit enter.

In this version of the registry editor, you can highlight a key, then click "Security" at the top, and choose "Permissions". GENERALLY, most keys will have both the Administrator, and "System" as having a permission of "Full Control".

Just like folder permissions, they propagate from the parent, by default.

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Rich
Thx for help
Unfortunately thats not it this time, permissions are full for me!
Eventually I got the programme in question to run by getting a without cd patch, this seems to indicate the problem was with copy protection on the new cd.
I must say I have full retail version of the prog and I am surprised to have to do that to get it running!!
Sun

Hi....perhaps sunstriker or prescot9 have any thoughts? I think this may be related to proper authorization and registry issues.

When I start an app. be it photoeditor, word, etc., it immediately closes down and says that the app has "*.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. Blah, Blah, Blah."

Can't seem to find the source in drwatson..any thoughts?

Hi
There seems to be a plethora of reasons for this kind of error; I would suggest you do a search for your specific error in sat I find microsofts own help pretty poor but exe errors cud be a virus...just run a check just in case.
I dont think this is authorisation error or registry m8!
Sun

GCANO,

Good advise from Sun...there are several "worm" type viruses out there as well as variants that can do the damage you speak of - one of them is "Sircam".

Trend Micro, has a free PC scan from the web, and a weekly newsletter one can subscribe to. Additionally, they make some kick-ass Anti Virus software, such as "PC-cillin".

Let Me Know!
[pc3]
Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back