Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

debian

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcscousin

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
CA
I am trying to learn Linux and setting up a debian box with software raid. A standalone install without raid works great but cannot get software raid to install when doing a fresh install.I have googled until i was almost blue in the face. Is there a book for beginners that actually covers linux a bit better? I have 5 or 6 books on linux and all just explain how to install without raid and none really cover much in depth.

I have not looked for that particular search string, i was trying to setup the raid during the initial install in the GUI setup.
The above link is what i was using to start the install i managed to get it almost installed until i got to the updating the distro during setup and it locked at 19% updating tzdata.I tried quite a few things to get it to get passed that file which research seemed to point to a date time issue and ended up starting from scratch.
I can get the disks partioned and then when finishing the partition it gives me no root file system defined and fails there.
I have been asked to create a test install where we can place plesk to test their updates as every time we allow updates it kills something on the server actually running plesk. The person who setup the original server has moved on.

Install Debian Etch on a Software Raid 1 with S-ATA disks

Software RAID1, Debian Sarge fresh installation, kernel 2.6.8, GRUB

as to manuals, HowTo's, etc. check out the Ubuntu and Debian Forums...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Howtoforge has lots of nice tutorials,
As an example.
Not for Debian, but Ubuntu is very similar.

If it stops during updates You might want to try
another server as your update source.
Or wait and try later, the server could just be having problems
when you ran the update.

The update was during install so was not offerred any chance to back out. Did a wipe and reinstall and Raid says it is working but the big partition shows as not mounted and have to figure out how to mount and access it.Have raid set with 3 partitions per drive 1gb gor root system 8 for swap and 489 for files once i get it going. The system boots but the big partition shows in disks as unknown file system and says it needs to be mounted.
fstab does not show the third partition as there so i assume its something i need to edit fstab to fix.

You could try mounting it manually first, to get it running, before you edit the fstab file...

e.g.

create a folder under your HOME folder, e.g. mkdir /home/user/bigp

then mount it: mount /sda3 /home/user/bigp

where /sda3 is the path to the big partion...

more info can be found at the man page:

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

The large disk would not mount and would not unmount was getting an error that the kernel was having issues with both md0 and md1 and suggested unmounting them to allow access. They would not umount either. Wiped the install out figured will try setting up weverything and then create the raid as per other documents i managed to find.
Hopefully by tomorrow i will be able to either report success or look for a bit more advice on the setup.
I looked at LVM but it doesnt quite fit with what we are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back