Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debian sendmail with SMTP AUTH from equipment on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrisher

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2009
US
I've been banging my head for over a week and now it's time to let go my pride and ask for help.

My setup is:
Debian Etch
Procmail
sendmail with SMTP-AUTH added and configured
OTRS2
webmin

I only need this to collect alerts from various equipment and put it in my trouble ticket system (OTRS) via droping it in a local mailbox called otrs. The equipment sits at various sites connected via WAN.

I also have it set up to relay alerts out to google mail to send alerts to the manufacturer. I'm having to do this because we migrated from a Kerio server to google apps.

I get alerts from UPS's, which have a simple setup, and all works fine. What doesn't work is my 9-1-1 recorders. They are set up to log into a SMTP server with a username and password. It also has the option to force TLS. No ther options than that.

No matter what I try, configuration wise, I can only get this in the /var/log/mail.log:

Aug 2 14:32:45 WANSERVER sendmail[10614]: o72JWi8E010614: [10.0.153.212] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I've set up a sasl user and tested via this method:
saslpasswd2 -s -c username
entered a password

checked it with:
testsaslauthd -u username -p password
and get an OK
it fails if I use:
testsaslauthd -s smtp -u username -p password

I don't see, however, where it ever tries to even authenticate. If the equipment can't send a EHLO, how can I get sendmail to not require it?

Here is a header from an alert that used to come into Kerio:

X-Vipre-Scanned: 15D1D2E2001A1215D1D42F
Return-Path: <robin.krisher@{private}.org>
Received: from Eventide ([10.0.153.212]) (authenticated user robin.krisher@{private}.org) by {private mail server} (Kerio MailServer 6.7.3) (using TLSv1/SSLv3 with cipher DES-CBC3-SHA (168 bits)); Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:46:07 -0500
Subject: Eventide recorder error
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:46:07 -0000
Message-ID: <1280555167.0@Eventide>
To: <alarms@{private}.org>,
<service@{manufacturer}.com>

Never Mind. Something so stupid and simple. The configuration in the recorder said "Local Machine Name" and I put in "Lubbock Police Recorder". When I went into the other door of the equipment for config, the parameter said "Local hostname". Once I changed it to something like "recorder.police.com" it went through via relay based on the IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back