Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Death to dual OS (XP - 98)! Diabeling printer! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby4Doo

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
US
I have a PC currently running 98 as its OS. I began to upgrade to XP-home, however, when confronted with the message of "...possibly losing files..." etc, I decided against it, until I backed up my system (mp3s, clips, jpgs, etc...). Since then, when I boot my pc, I'm asked which OS to run, windows 98 or Windows XP? I select 98 because XP was NEVER completely installed, I only began the installation, then cancelled out. The problem I'm faced with now is that my Lexmark X73 printer will not work, no matter how much I uninstall and reinstall or swap out the USB cable. I found a thread via another user that his Lexmark printer became disabled as well, when he upgraded to XP. ( ).

I want to delete the XP copletely but am unsure how to do this. There is nothing listed under "Add/Remove programs" for XP in the control panel. I just want my system to run 98 for now and not prompt me to select between the two (XP or 98) and I would like to eliminate XP totally from my hard drive. Can somebody PLEASE walk me through this. I would appreciate it. [thumbsup2] PEACE!

I'd try booting to a Win98/98SE [whichever your version] and type fdisk /mbr at the A: prompt. This will restore the Win98 Master Boot Record on the drive. Then delete the boot.ini file, it is hidden and may need to be unhidden by typing: C:\Windows\Command\attrib -r -h -s C:\boot.ini. {You could copy the attrib.* file to the boot floppy and leave out the C:\Windows\Command part.] Then type: del c:\boot.ini. If booting to the hard drive and a non-system disk or other message comes up, boot to the floppy and type: sys c: which will put the boot system back on the hard drive.

I've found this will break the WinXP setup and haven't had any problem getting Win98 back as long as it was running before. But then, there's no guarantee that something won't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back