Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear sir, Good Afternoon I am

Status
Not open for further replies.

appu123

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
SG
Dear sir,

Good Afternoon

I am facing a problem with Internet access.Using the cisco router and compaq Desktops.the Lan is having a very good speed and there is no problem while copying a files through lan.but when i am a net browser the access is too slow and it takes lot of time to download the files and all.

Kindly help me is it problem of Lan or Router.

Thanks

Regards
NSM

Hi,

It might depend on what is the type of wan link you have got. Is it a T1 or a E1. What is generally the utilization in your network?

Raj

The first thing I would maybe be looking at is your network infrastructure. Is your network switched or is it using hubs. If using hubs maybe monitor collisions and see if they are excessive. If this is the case you could maybe try incorporating switches to reduce the amount of collisions on your LAN.

What are users using your internet connection for? If you have nice fast internet connections you can bet your life on users abusing it and downloadining MP3s, movies etc. (Blocking Limeshare, Bear share and other peer sharing utilities is a good idea. They use shed loads of space and stuff downloaded is almost always illegal!!)
Maybe try putting a piece of packet sniffing software to monitor were traffic is destined. Setting up an SNMP trap on the router and using something like solar winds (Solarwinds.net) to monitor the bandwidth being used for incoming and outgoing traffic.

Failing that try looking towards the ISP. I had a situation here where I had a 1Mb pipe into the ISP and they had 64Kb pipe to the internet. Accessing yahoo was an hours chore!

Easiest way to check is to plug a system on reverse patch straight into the router and try access that way. If you get acceptable performance it is likely to be either your pipe is too small for the amount of data it is carrying that is slowing your connection down with all the users on. In which case policing is likely to be key or an upgrade. If it struggles with one system on the link I would maybe on the lookout for a new ISP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back