Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear BK I have now tried your solu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nvijayk

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
GB
Dear BK
I have now tried your solution and it works as follows.
When an invalid date is entered, it throws a message and if I clicked okay, it then just carries on and allows me to complete the form and save it with the invalid date in the table.I need it to stop me from accepting an invalid date by taking the cursor back to Date field in the form and not allow update at all.
Also, when the date is left blank, it allows the transaction to be updated but does not update the table with the startdate as required.If this can be problem, I would rather have the form reject null value in the date field.
Please advise

regards

Vijay

Hi Vijay!

In the BeforeUpdate event procedure for the text box you can use this code:

If IsDate(Me!YourTextBox) = False Then
If MsgBox("You entered an invalid date. Your record will not be saved if a correct date is not entered. Do you want to enter the correct date now?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
Cancel = -1
End If
End If

Then in the BeforeUpdate event procedure for the form use this code:

If IsDate(Me!YourTextBox) = False Then
If MsgBox("You entered an invalid date into the start date field. If this is not corrected your data will not be saved. Do you want to correct this now?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
Cancel = -1
Call YourTextBox.SetFocus
Else
Me.Undo
DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name
End If
End If

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.