Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dealing with a Win2K + Netware Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennyL

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
GB
We were a Netware 5.0 site with Backup Exec for Netware, Open File Option (OFO) and Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR).

Now we have added a Win2K server. Our Veritas re-seller advised us to migrate to Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 and use the Netware agent. (Apparently this is better than staying with Backup Exec for Netware and using the WinNT agent, because the WinNT agent doesn't backup the registry, etc. in Win2K. I understand that a Win2K agent exists in beta.) He has also advised us to buy OFO and IDR again, because there is no migration path. In this new scenario we would not have OFO or IDR functionality on the Netware server, and the OFO and IDR software we bought a year ago for the NW server will be redundant. To backup both
servers with OFO and IDR functionality on both, we would need separate Backup Exec installations and backup drives on each server.

There must be people out there running Win2K and Netware servers. Have any of you been through this and come to the same conclusion, or am I missing something?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dennis Leachman

PS: if anyone is interested in pristine copies of OFO and IDR for Netware please contact me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back