Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dealing with a newly acquired company. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenage

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
GB
Greetings,

The company I work for has recently acquired two smaller businesses. The first has no I.T staff but the second is larger and has a member dedicated to their technical needs, in fact he has a VPN to his house for out of hours maintenance.

I'm visiting the latter company next week and have been asked to disconnect the VPN and basically evaluate their systems before connecting our networks together and standardise everything. I have no problem with the work itself, my question is regarding company relations.

Having not been in this sort of situation before could anyone offer any advice as to how I can avoid 'treading on the toes' of their I.T administrator? He obviously knows his network far better than I, and I respect that.

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Be honest.

Before you actually do anything, you might consider sitting down with the IT administrator and telling him why you're there are what your marching orders are. Why not ask him for his help? Try to make him part of the new team so that he is on the inside looking out, rather than on the outside looking in with suspician.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I don't think anyone could have said it better, CajunCenturion!

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully we will get along fairly well and there will be no problem. While we are separate companies we really could do without any walls cropping up between us.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I hope so too Grenage. If you get the chance, please let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I will do, thanks again.

Russell.

My company was bought by another company. While that company's IT "sat down" with our IT, they didn't listen in any meaningful way. They set a cut over date to their system, regardless of our concerns. We cut over. Five months later, they'll are still trying to pick up the pieces and get things to work. All the while losing money and customers.

Have an open ear.

Well it turned out fine after all. The gentleman responsible for their I.T turned out to be a really good man, he was under the impression that we were going to rob him of his entire role but after a long chat I believe we were both happy.

Thanks again for your input.

Russell.

it's always very good or like kjon posted, a total nightmare. if the "bought" it people know their job, it goes great, if they just get by and reboot or call a consultant, it goes real bad. i've been in both type of a takeover. two very real reasons your went good, 1st, you approched it right, second the IT they had in place knows his network and has something to offer your dept.. makes for that old win/win thing i've heard about

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'm glad to hear it, Grenage. Professionalism and honesty go a long way.

Good Luck
--------------

Great job, CajunCenturion!!!

Have a nice day today, and a better day tomorrow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back