Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deadlocking on parallel create indexes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdd21

Programmer
Dec 16, 2005
US
Am working with a warehousing installation that nightly imports a massive amount of data. Before the import, indexes are dropped and afterwards, the indexes are regenerated. The "create index" steps are now being multithreaded-- distributed over several threads. However, I'm finding in cases when the create indexes are operating on the same source table, a thread may become a deadlock victim.

This is on SQL Server 2000. Haven't tried it on 2005, as it's not that easy to try at the moment.

So I gather that while it's indexing, since it can't afford to have the table change while indexing, it keeps it locked-- but in such a way that is blocking reads as well? I can't otherwise see how such a deadlock would occur. The threads are doing a create index on the same table but creating a different index, and generally using different columns, though there may be cases where one index is a composite field which would include a column also utilized in another index. But essentially, it's a single read-only operation from the contending table so I don't really see why a deadlock should occur.

Any ideas what may be going on here? Options I might be able to use to work around the problem (other than going single-thread, preferrably)...

To work around the problem you can set the MAXDOP 1 option on your create index statement.

- Paul
10qkyfp.gif

- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back