Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deadlock error trapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sliderict

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2004
US
Hello,

Anyone have any insight or routine to handle deadlock error from MS SQL server, i have tried few things but not working well for me.

Someone should have much better way to handle this?

Thanks for any input.

When you're a victim of a deadlock, this usually indicates that your transactions are taking too long.

I would examine every piece of code that UPDATEs or INSERTs into the tables, and make sure that there is no work being done inside the BeginTrans..Commit statements that is unrelated to the transaction. Stuff like searching an XML document (should have been done outside the transaction), doing a SELECT (should have been done outside the transaction), or reading/writing a file (should have been done outside the transaction).

By reducing the amount of time spent inside your transaction, you reduce the time that the locks are in place, and the shorter time the locks exist, the less the chances of another transaction colliding with them.

Of course, the other possible cause is that you've written some queries that really do interfere with each other. In this case, the DB Trace tool is your friend.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back