Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead Power Supply/CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyphonX

Technical User
Sep 6, 2004
CA
Greetings, and thanks in advance to those who are kind enough to help;

I had recently gone on vacation for a week, and so shut off my computer which I rarely do.

Upon my return, my computer would not start. Nothing at all would happen; The on light would not come on, and peeking inside my cmputer I noticed the motherboard light was also not on. I know my power supply was slowly degrading over time, so I assumed that it had finally died. My power supply (as well as my computer are about 3-4 years old).

I switched out my 400 watt power supply with a new 520 watt corsair power supply. This allowed my computer to power up, and I thought everything was fine, until I realized it wasnt actually booting. My motherboard has vocal post, and it said "System failed CPU test".

Is it possible for a CPU to be fried when a Power Supply fails, or could this be another issue?

This is an older system, so I hesitant to put more money into it on top of the $100 I already spent on the power supply. I would be willing to get a new proccessor, if I knew for sure that was the issue... assuming I can even find a 2.4 GHZ (single core) proccessor (although maybe I should get a new system instead of throwing more money into an older sytem).

My relevent specs are as follows:

2.4 GHZ single core intel Proccessor
ASUS P4C-800 Deluxe motherboard
new 520 watt corsair power supply

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

you actually do not know what happened while you where gone, ie. lightning storm or power fluctuations may have caused the PSU to fail, which could in turn take out the mainboard or CPU or both...

best thing to try would be to take out the BATTERY for a length of time (usually 10min) allowing the CMOS RAM to deplete and then reinsert it... if it still does the same, then it may be time for you to go ahead and upgrade, similar motherboard and CPU combinations are getting cheaper and cheaper these days...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

It is possible but unusual for the CPU to fail with a PSU.
On top of what BadBigBen has writeen I would take back to bare bones, pull out any addon cards and all the ribbon cables and molex power to the drives etc see if it fully posts to missing OS.
Then connect things one by one, hard drive first.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back