Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed2020

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

My PC has completely died - when I push the power button nothing happens at all.

I assume the PSU has packed up, but I wanted to check before I fork out for a new one.

Is there any way of telling for sure what the problem is? Is there anything else that could be causing this?

TIA,

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Confirm there is power from the source your PC is plugged into by plugging in something else.

Make sure your switch is not broke. You can open the pc and manually make the power connection using a screwdriver or something like it. If it is a bad switch you can use your reset button by putting it on the power connection.

Good luck-
Van

You can buy a tester ($10 to $15 at the Electronics parts store.) Do you have a friend with a spare power supply you can try?

I'd also try unplugging the power cord from the wall for a few minutes. I've had a PC be completely unresponsive like that come right back when the power supply was allowed to discharge itself.

Also confirm that your wiring from the power switch to the M/B pins wasn't interrupted.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back