Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead computer? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy38

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
US
Sorry guys, I not as tech-savvy as most of you, but that's why I came to the experts. A few weeks ago, my computer crashed. A friend of mine replaced the motherboard, hard drive, and processor. It was working fine for a few weeks, then I bumped the printer cable and it shut down. I could wiggle the printer cable or mouse cable and the fans would try to run. Now it does nothing. Could this be a power supply problem or improperly grounded motherboard? Thanks for the help!

I would first make sure that the power cable on your motherboard is in tightly. Especially if you just changed everything out. And while youa re at it, check all of the cables including the external power cable to the system.

If all is well and tight, it sounds like something might be wrong with the board. Open the case up and giggle the printer/mouse cables and look to see if anything on the mother board in that area is moving when it shouldn't be. Bumping the cable may have damaged where the port attaches to the motherboard.

Good Luck

Ed

Quite probably something has just got loose inside, its probably worth starting by looking inside and just pressing the cables onto the motherboard to make sure they are in properly (especially power cables)

Make sure the motherboard isn't touching the case. Then it is grounded and nothing happens when you turn the power on.

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

Check also the front panel connectors (specifically the DC SW or the POWER Switch) Thats going on a limb though. More than likely someone forgot the MB risers. These little things that bring the MB off of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back