Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEAD ANALOG LINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2012
US
I have an analog line that is completely dead. I have toned it out and I can find it in the closet and I can attach my butt set directly on the TN and I can dial from the butt set and the correct extension comes up so I know the TN is good. I am more of a programmer and the cabling piece is newer to me and I would really appreciate any kind of troubleshooting tips!!

Well, you could have a bad pair, jumper, or both. Try re terminating the jumper. Do you get dialtone on both ends? Test a spare pair to the jack and try that. When you hear the tone @ the other end of the cable, is it very loud? If no, you could have an open TIP or RING.

....JIM....

if you don't have a bad pair, sometimes re-punching the cross connect solves itself

You may have one side open. This has caught me more than once since tone will still travel. If you have a ohms Meter (does anyone know what these are any more?) you can test each side to ground, to verify each side of the line.
You could also be on the wrong pair and still get tone pass thru. Sometimes people will change the pairs in the wall or at a splice so you are not on you would expect.

I want to convert a POTs line to use as my modem line. We have a Cisco Call Manager system. Any ideas on how to complete this?
I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thank you!!
Kathe

Kathe - cross connect to where you want it and plug it in to the modem port. There should be no conversion necessary. Your dial string would probably not require you to dial any access number (ie 9) in front of the number.

here is a simple test. Put tone on it again and go to the other end ans twist the two bare wires together. if the tone goes away then your pair is solid all the way thru. if you still have a stongetone then you have an open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back