Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead Air Calls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2004
CA
Does anyone know what the cause of ghost calls or dead air calls is? Sometimes the call will reach the agent, data is populated on their screen but no voice. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Are these calls coming on PRI trunks? Are they NFAS? If yes, collect some sample data on the Trk-IDs with ghost calls or make calls on all the T1's & see that the voice is present on all of them.

Try a list measurement ds# log board command on your PBX. Where # is the ds number abd board is the board address like 01a0203. Look for errors on the trunk traffic group and see if you maybe getting issues from the CO or the PBX.
The following discribes the field definitions:

ES: Error Seconds
BES: Burst Error Seconds
SES: Severe error Seconds - This one you can start panicing
UAS/FS: Unavailable Seconds
CSS: Not Sure, still looking this one up
LOFC: Loss of Frame Count - This one; you run for your life, means the Trunk is completely down and disconnected.

If the agent stays on the call, does the person come on line after awhile? Sometimes it is a problem with delays.

I don't believe it is a problem due to delay as agents usually wait a minimum of 10 seconds if there is no caller on the line.

I've seen this problem occur when I was working in a call center. I had our telco and avaya look into it for months with no avail. So we discreetly started calling some of these numbers back and found out that everyone of the ones we called had call-waiting. These customers were calling in during busy hours and while in queue received a another call without disconnecting the first call. Not saying that this is definitely happening to you as there are other things that could cause this problem but it is probably worth looking into.

Roche

Perhaps these are fax calls to main number instead of the fax number.

This week we had an instance where a company in Vancouver was faxing our call centre's 800 number. the duration of the call was 56 seconds and the fax was a broadcast that dialed repeatedly. Due to the front end IVR and the time out of the menu, the call appeared at the agent desk just under the 60 second time frame. What the agent heard was dead air due to the fax timing out.

CDR records are good for this as they can see this pattern with CLID and DNIS.

Output your CDR to a text file weekly if you currently are not using a Call Accounting system and review the occurances against frequently received telephone numbers.

You may see where the problem is coming from.

Netcon1

Are you using auto answer by any chance? My experience with it in Call Centers, especially large ones, is that there are always 1 or 2 agents that cannot seem to get the hang of going into aux work before removing their headset. Sounds just like dead air to the caller.

Paul Beddows

Consulting, Avaya/EAS implementation, Training
Vancouver, Canada
E-mail use form on website at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back