Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDS4 Tapes have made backup very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanan

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Is that possible?

We're using Arcserve 2000 AE on a windows 2000 server. The backup started asking for a second tape last week. i noticed that the tapes we were using were DDS3 (the total backup is about 25GB). i figured "no problem!", i'll just throw in a DDS4, the tape drive is a 20/40GB DAT in a compaq ml350. Well, it will backup everything now but it now takes about 14 hours to do it. I'm almost positive the only change i made was changing to the higher capacity tapes. today, i checked the compression under Device Manager and it was enabled so i changed it to disabled to see what happens with tonight's backup. is there anything else i can check?

thanks for help,

bryan

well, turning off the compression didn't help. it's still taking 14 hours and it asked for another tape.

so, i installed arcserve sp4, checked the incoulateIT virus scanner to make sure "fast backups" was checked and unchecked the "virus-wall incoming mode" for good measure.

i even tried a small "test backup". it was only 250MB worth of data, but it did run at about 290mb/min as opposed to what the log has been showing, which was 30mb/min.

bryanan - just where is the options to check the incoulateIT virus scanner and the virus-wall incoming mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back