Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDR vs. SDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiem25

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
Can anyone help clarify some questions regarding DDR memory? Is DDR more efficient than SDRAM? I am considering switching out my mobo (slot A type, Gigabyte 71X) to a new socket A, many of which have obviously switched to DDR compatibility. I'm running Win XP Pro, 80 gig hd, lots of graphics programs. How much DDR is necessary to run XP?

Thanks in advance!

jessiem25: Yes DDR is MUCH faster than SDRAM. Microsoft says it takes 192MB memory just for WinXP. The barest minimum to install would be 256MB. This will work, but 512MB is the standard amount in quality built systems. Alot of high-end systems are running 1Gig now(especially using WinXP for graphics, video-editing, etc.). Switch that mobo to an ASUSmobo/AMDXPcpu, slap in a gig of highspeed RAM, install your 80GHDD, snatch an ATI(9500Pro,9700/9700Pro) videocard, install LiteOn DVD, LiteOn burner and get to rockin'!. Ati and Nvidia are getting ready to release new videocards again, so you might want to hold off because the prices on current cards wiil drop upon their release.

IMO, 128MB is the absolute bare minimum I would ever use in XP (Microsoft says you can run as little as 64MB with some features turned off). However, 256MB is the standard and 512MB is considered for optimal performance. Anything more than 512MB may not show much difference in performance unless you're running a server and/or apps that need that much.

There are a few technical differences between DDR and SDRAM. DDR 266, for example, claims to be 266MHz although it runs only at 133MHz just like PC133 SDRAM. The difference is that DDR can send two data bits per clock cycle, while SDRAM can only send one. What they've done is effectively widened the data bus. Think of it as turning a 2-lane highway into 4 lanes but keeping the same speed limit. DDR 266 isn't quite 2 times faster than PC133, but the difference shows, especially in memory-intensive applications. The same goes for any DDR memory when compared to regular SDRAM.

Now's a good time to upgrade with DDR memory as cheap as it is...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Roberto,
I'm puzzled after looking over your links. How does either one compare performance? The first one talks about physical differences and the second doesn't even mention DDR.
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back