Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDR Routing and Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

adejordan

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Hi there

My problem is this. A remote branch site with 10 clients is connected to a DDR Router that has an ISDN interface which dials the Main office when an Outlook Client requests Mail.

As the Outlook Client is Corporate edition, the client believes the connection to the exchange server to be via IP and therefore does not know of the ISDN dial-up (Obviously?)

How then do I enable the ISDN connection / Outlook Client in such a way that as soon as all mail has been delivered to the client, the connection is closed?

Thanks in advance. I have a couple of thoughts but these both require a change in Hardware and Config - Not ideal!!

Cheers all [2thumbsup] Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

You might have to configure outlook to run in the mode where it can work offline, therefore keeping it from connecting to the server.. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do.. Exchange/Outlook always communicate..

BuckWeet

I think your going to have to alter your dialer-lists on the router to better define the "interesting traffic" which is what brings up the line - possibly to not allow the Exchange connection to bring up or keep up the connecton. Of course this traffic would only flow if the line was up already. You might also want to first take a look at your idle timeouts also.

Yea, crazynoodle is correct, but one thing to know, if you have outlook open and sever its connection to the exchange server. it won't be happy at all.. usually it'll hang up and crash.. So thats why i suggested to do what i did in the previous email.

BuckWeet

Hi all

Thanks guys for the info, you have confirmed my suspicions. Much appreciated.

Ade B-) Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back