Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ddr memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrand88

Technical User
Feb 24, 2004
US
Hi,

Since memory is cheap these days,I would like to upgrade my memory from 1gb to 4gb. I have a Intel 2.4GHZ CPU with 1GB of 512mb sticks-2- for hyper threading. It is 400mhz memory sticks. My IC-7G Abit motherboard is a socket 478, 184 pin memory sticks.According to my bios setup the N/B strap can be set to PSB400 for 100MHZ FSB, PBS-533 for 133MHZ and PBS800 200MHZ. Right noww it is set just for as CPU.

According to my manual my processor can be set for 800mhz, 533MHZ and 400MHZ for northwood memory.

Can I buy DDR800 memory set the n/b strap to be PSB800 and get faster speed as well as more memory ?

Thanks

Arthur

[ol]
[li]There is no such thing as Hyper-threading (HT) memory; HT refers to the virtual CPU core that many Pentium 4's and Pentium D's had. There is dual-channel memory in which two banks of very similar memory can be written to simultaneously; effectively doubling the RAM's bandwidth.[/li]

[li]Your motherboard supports a CPU front-side bus (FSB) of 800 MHz, which translates into an actual speed of 200 MHz. Pentium 4 processors have a "quad-pumped" FSB, which means that they were able to send data four times per clock cycle; 4 x 200 MHz (actual) = 800 MHz (effective)[/li]

[li]DDR memory is able to send/receive data two times per clock cycle, so DDR400 actually runs at 200 MHz. This is the same principle as the 800 MHz FSB of the P4. No need to buy DDR800; just get DDR400 and set the CPU and memory FSB to linked or synchronized mode.[/li]

[li]If you're not running a 64-bit OS, skip getting 4 GBs of RAM as you will never be able to use it all. My advice would be to leave the 1 GB (512 MB x2) of DDR400 and get an additional 2 GB (1 GB x2) of DDR400 to add to your system.[/li]
[/ol]

Abit IC7G motherboard
Intel Northwood 2.4ghz which has a front side bus of 800mhz
The motherboard uses PC3200 (DDR400)
The CPU is quad pumped so the memory is set to 200
(200 X 4 = 800) which is the ideal syncronous speed of your CPU.
You cannot purchase DDR800 because that would be DDR2 and not compatible with this motherboard which uses plain DDR.
If you buy more memory you need PC3200 (DDR400)
If it were my upgrade I would buy an extra 1gig stick of PC3200 and then look for a second user 3.2 or 3.4 socket 478 P4 Northwood on ebay. This will give you much more of a performance boost than adding yet more memory.

So 1 stick of PC3200 and
Second user 3.4ghz P4 Northwood socket 478

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back