Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDR Memory: which config is better?......... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rreinman

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
I am changing from an Asus A7V 266E to a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0.
I can use either 2 512 mb (DDR400)3200.
or 3 sticks of 512 (DDR333) 2700.
It appears this way in the recomendations from Kingston, and Soyo website, but not much info in my manual.
I render pictures in my pc, and was wondering which choice is a better choice as I think 1.5 gigs of memory, but less speed is better than 1 gig of memory, but faster ram.
Please advise me on this issue as other input would fortify my thinking....

Bob

It doesn't matter much if you have 1 Gig or 1.5 Gig of memory, as it depends more on the FSB setting of your CPU, if your CPU has a FSB of 166 mhz (333 mhz) then you can use either configuration, but if your CPU has a FSB of 200 mhz (400 mhz) then you can only use the DDR400 mem for a stable system...

Ben

frankly, 1.0 gigs is way more than enough to render pics and stuff...

so if your system can support it, then go for the faster memory.

I can set the fsb to: 100,133,166,or 200.
So is it a better setup to have 200fsb and 2 sticks of DDR400?
Thanks for the fast response!!
I gave you a star.

@rreinman - yes to the question about the 200FSB setting and DDR400 mem, it is better... the speed increase is noticable in the area you are planning on using (rendering)...

and thnx for the star...

Ben

I can set the fsb to: 100,133,166,or 200."

Should I be reading this as implying your CPU supports 200MHz FSB? This is required if you want full use of DDR 400.

Hold up there rreinman! The FSB setting depends on your CPU as Freestone pointed out. Don't just go setting it too high and frying your CPU in the process.

The memory bus and frontside bus can be set at different speeds. So it is possible for you to have a 166MHz FSB CPU, but have your memory bus running at 200Mhz. It's not preferred for reasons pertaining to latency, but it is possible.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Ok guys....... I'm using a AMD xp3200 (400FSB) so things won't cook here. It is the fastest processor this board can support.
Hope this helps. and thanks to all that did......
Bob

The benefits of running in dual channel mode are negligible on AMD processors, they only tend to come into their own with the high fsb settings of Pentiums so in this case i'd say you're better off with the 3 slots filled with 1.5gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back