Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDNS-Problem with Microsoft DNS/DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2003
DE
Hi!
I've got a strange problem here! Following constellation:
- Network with W2K DHCP and W2K DNS on two separate machines (in the same Subnet...)
- Several Scopes on the DHCP, one with the ability to update the DNS. The name of the Scope is identical to the dynamic-DNS-domain
- DHCP ist configured to update the PTR-RR AND the A-RR, so this differs from standard which is to update only the PTR-RR (the Client updates the A-RR...). I need to use the update of both RR because the clients are connecting with Cisco-VPN from the Internet and updating themselves will make troubles cause they try to update the A-RR with their off. IP-Address and not with the one, they've got from the Cisco-Concentrator...
- The DHCP is updating the PTR-RR on the DNS
- Clients from the LAN are updating the A-Records correctly

Here are the things, which aren't working:

- The DHCP-Server isn't updating the A-RR on the DNS
- The DHCP-Server isn't deleting old PTR-RR's from the DNS. So, after some time, I have more than one PTR-RR per IP-Adress in the reverse-lookup-file! Isn't that against RFC??

According the A-RR, I've found something on the Microsoft Website: I need a DHCP-Option Code 81 which is asking the Cleint for his FQDN. For this Option I need SP3. This is installed on my Server, but I cannot see this Option Code 81 on my Server. If I try to add it manually, the Servers tells me: Not possibly, the Code 81 is reserved... grrrr....

At the moment, I'm hanging a bit...

Is anybody out there who can help me?

Greets
Heiko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back