Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCS--VOIP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodialtone

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
US
This is my scenario, we have two PBX's separated by some distance, 300 miles +. "A" Location is a G3V11, "B" Location is a G3V4. Is it possible to establish a DCS connection between these switches using a a frame relay circuit with VOIP? I understand there will be an issue of RTU for DCS, but will the PBX's support this. THanks

In my opinion, you have to upgrade side B in order to use VoIP.

You also need RTU for Ip-trunks and DCS and a Prowlerboard and Clan.

Plan your work............Work your plan

[afro]

You can get the wics for Cisco routers that will emulate a T1 (M24 or PRI!) and hand off the T1 to each switch. The T1 is then handled by the router and passed to the far end router across your data WAN which has a similar setup. Basically, the switch is not aware that it is using IP trunking. I'm sure there are other products that will do something similar for legacy PBXs.

I agree with RFWatts, with one concern. I believe that you would have to use x.25 signaling to DCS an R11 to an R4 and I don't know if this may be a problem using T1 emulation.

Another issue I just thought of is that if your R11 system is an S8700, I don't think you can do DCS using x.25

IPSI

You need to upgrade the remote switch to at least R9.5 to get good IP capabilities.

Also, the Cisco solution would work, but you won't get proper integration of the Definity switches..

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back