Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCPROMO will not work after ADPREP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsnabs

MIS
Apr 17, 2009
GB
Hello,

I have a windows 2003 single forest, single domain.
I am trying to promote a 2008r2 64bit member server to a DC.
I have 2 x 2003svr DC's (1 of which has all the FSMO roles)
I have run ADPREP / ForestPrep, Domain Prep, ROC Prep, GP Prep on the FSMO DC, all succeeded.

Scheme version is 44. So the prep has worked.

When I try to run DCPROMO on the 2008 member server it displays...

"To install a domain controller into this active directory forest, you must first prepare the forest using 'adprep /forestprep'"

I tried to run the adpreps again on the 2003 DC but they all return as "already completed'.

I am really confused, this one got me stumped, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First, you need to wait for AD replication to finish after doing the adprep stuff.

Bounce the 2008 R2 box, and try again. If it fails, look at the dcpromo log file. It's either in c:\windows\debug or c:\windows\system32\debug. I forget which.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks,

Ive bounced both DC's, and forced replication.
I looked at the log, and can only see the following error...

DsGetDcNameW(mydomain, 0x400c1040) failed, err=1355

My firewall is disabled, still not working sorry.

Hi,

Thanks, I ran both, and all tests are ok.

Its a mystery.

And DNS config on that 2008 R2 server is pointing at another DC running DNS? Can you ping the domain name?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thats done it, thanks PAGY.
And thanks 58sniper for you help.

I was using 2008 NON R2 media to adprep the forest and domain.

Instead I used the ADPREP32 from the 64bit 2008 R2 media, and now it working.

THANKS ALL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back