Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCPromo failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTracy

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
I have been trying to promote a 2012 server to a domain controller. My error is:

Verification of user credential permissions failed. The wizard cannot gain access to the list of domains in the forest.

This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the following Microsoft Web site:
The error is:
The RPC server is unavailable.

I have chased this around and around. Can anyone give me a hint about where to look?

Thanks,
David.

Problem solved, I figured it out. It was the forward lookup zone transfer record in the DNS. I had to manually point to the new potential PDC rather than the existing PDC. I think because the old PDC is 2003 and the potential new PDC is 2012, even though the domain is still at 2003 level it just refused to replicate from the 2003 PDC. Fixed that and all was well.

Thanks to all, I appreciate your support.

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back