Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dcpromo - Fails with dual NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel233

MIS
Feb 24, 2007
US
I have 2 NIC in my PC. Both have static IP's and IPV4 is enabled while IPv6 is disabled on both cards. When I run dcpromo and it gets to DNS I keep getting an error msg that one card has DHCP or something and it wont continue. I have to disable one of the network cards in order for dcpromo to continue.

you should only have one nic connected to your network unless they are teamed.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

NortonEs2 is correct, even the latest HP teaming software has issues when dc promoing so ive disable one card until its a dc then just added it back into the team

Allen White MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP
IT Problems? the fix may be here

NortonES2 is only half correct. Teaming is one good way to make use of dual NICs, but I have seen plenty of other occasions where having a dual-homed system makes sense. That being said, it is a bad idea to have a dual-homed domain controller because it tends to mess up DNS. Both IP addresses end up getting registered in DNS as DC resources, and the hilarity ensues.

If you absolutely must run a dual-homed DC then you need to make sure that only one of the NICs is configured to register with DNS (go into NIC propertries --> TCPIP --> DNS tab.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back