Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOUNT Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapzlok

Technical User
Apr 12, 2005
US
I am trying finish an access database that I started for the lab I work in where I want to store subject and study information. I am almost done with the database, I'm just trying to add little features that my boss wants. Currently I'm stuck on a DCOUNT issue where I am trying to count the instances of a particular index number for a study. The table that I'm pulling the information from for the count function is the following:

patient_index task_index visit_id comment run session data_quality data_location1 data_location2 export_disk archive_disk
1 2 5012 1 btidaw50:data1 TIRR_Stroke_01A
2 1 5013 14:54 1 btidaw50:data1 TIRR_Stroke_01A
3 1 5014 13:20 2 btidaw50:data1 TIRR_Dyslexia_01A
4 2 5015 12:45 1 btidaw50:data1 TIRR_Stroke_01B
0 0 0

It looks a bit skewed but the only information that I am concerned with is the number located in the second column labeled 'task_index' and the table is called 'Subject_Task'. I want to count the total instances of the number '1' for my first dcount function, I used the following command:

=DCount("task_index","Subject_Task","task_index = '1'")

This returns an error but if I use it on a column that does not have a zero in the last row such as the session column and use the following dcount function:

=DCount("session","Subject_Task","session = '14:54'")

it works just fine and returns the value 1. My question is what do I need to do differently to use the dcount function for my task_index column and other columns that have the 0 in the last row? Also, the 0 in the last row is generated automatically, I have not entered that last (5th) row.

Try it without the quotes, ie:
=DCount("task_index","Subject_Task","task_index = 1")
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back