Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOM Server Process Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm2k

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am having a problem with the DCOM Service on an XP SP2 machine, IE7 RC1 has also been installed.

However the DCOM service when set to automatic hangs at system logon and so the desktop environment never loads the svchost.exe process has to be terminated to get to the desktop.

I have tried reinstalling SP2 to no affect, I have run SFC /SCANNOW I cannot do a system restore apparently this has been a problem for a while.

Does anybody know if it is possible to do an repair/reinstall of this service without having to do a repair setup of Windows?

I have this same problem, but a little more severe.

Number 1: My internet capabilities are nullified, no matter what I try, it always comes up with an error about my internal IP.
Number 2: Almost no programs will run, they all error with missing components.
Number 3: computer shuts down with an error message about DCOM server process launcher.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Can you get to the Event Viewer logs, perhaps via Safe Mode, and see if you have any errors relevant to DCOM?

Ready, steady, GO! IE7 has been released

PC hangs for 3-7 min. just after signing on internet
thread779-1082303

Actions such as search and drag and drop do not work because the default access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool

Copy and paste the below into notepad. Do a File, Save as, and save the file as dcom.cmd:

Code:
regsvr32 Ole32.dll 
regsvr32 Rpcss.dll 

SC sdset SharedAccess D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) 

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Security /f
REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{ce166e40-1e72-45b9-94c9-3b2050e8f180} /f

sc config DCOMLAUNCH start= AUTO
sc qc DCOMLAUNCH
exit

Double click dcom.cmd to execute the cmd script. When finished, reboot and test.

It starts, and the Ole32.dll goes through corectly but the rpcs.dll errors with the message

" Rpcss.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file can not be registered. "

then the rest flies by too fast to read.

Any advice?

Reboot and test.

No changes after rebooting.

On another note, i noticed a process sucking up 99% CPU speed, ' OSA9.exe '

And, on the event logs, I didn't see anything unusual.

From Bcastner's link come this, "You can safely remove the OSA9.exe file without causing the Office 2000 programs to fail. However, if you remove OSA9.exe, you no longer benefit from the performance advantages that are provided by running OSA9.exe".

99% CPU usage is some Performance Advantage!

I'd be tempted to save my data then format and clean install XP, install IE 7 final, and then do all the Windows Updates. Make an Image of the clean install for backup purposes, install additional software, check performance after every install, and when everything is running correctly, make a further backup image, and from thereon maintain a regular backup program so that you have a clean image to restore from when trouble hits.

Thats strange, because I dont even have office 2000 installed on my PC, I dont see why OSA9.exe should even exist on my computer in the first place.

I think I'll just do as you said linney and re-install XP.

Thanks for the help everyone.

If i have any more trouble after the re-install, I'll be back for more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back