Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOM from within IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebassett

Programmer
Mar 27, 2003
US
Hi,
I have this little activex exe on machine A and it is registered using DCOMCNFG. On machine B, I have registeredt this service using clireg32. On machine B, I have IIS running, and from within a webclass I call this activex exe. It does not execute.

on machine B, i get "Error : 70 - Permission denied"

and on machine A i get the error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10002
Date: 5/27/2003
Time: 4:43:04 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: MSTD01
Description:
Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server. The server is:
{40C53BC1-181A-43AE-B4A0-25D9ECC89A96}
The user is ANONYMOUS LOGON/NT AUTHORITY, SID=S-1-5-7.

However, I wrote a small test exe on machine B, which invokes the same DCOM service on machne A, and this time it works just fine.

So it boils down to a problem when invoking the thing from within IIS. I figured it was probably a access issue and gave directory security-anonymous access rights on IIS (machine B) to a user existing on machine A too. Problem still exists.

Would be very grateful for ne hints.
Thanks every1,
Steve.

I don't think the problem lies on machine B (IIS). I think you need to configure the DCOM server on machine A to allow it to launch and execute the server under the security context that IIS uses when calling the server.

Greetings,
Rick

Hi,
Thanks Rick. Actually I too think that what you pointed out should be the problem. And I have been trying along those lines.
However, I met with a roadblock. I realised that these machines are not part of a "domain" and hence we cannot have a common user across these machines. However, is it sufficient if I create a user with exactly the same username/passwd as the one that IIS uses on the DCOM service machine? I tried this, to no avail.
If however, a domain user is necessary, what stumps me is how the stub exe that I execute on machine B manages to successfully invoke the server. Again, ne more pointers highly appreicated.
Thanks,
Steve.

Hi,
I managed to resolve this problem by setting "default impersonation level" in dcomcnfg to Identify, instead of Anonymous which it was by default. Havent completely understood why it works, looking into that, but it does :)
Thanks,
Steve.

Can you be more specfic how you resolve this issue?
Thanks

Dr. Sql
vpathisseril@yahoo.com
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back