Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOM and DUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala15

Programmer
May 9, 2001
AU
Hi all,

I am quite happy with DCOM in that I have DCOM working in a LOCAL (Intranet) environment between a W98 box and a W-NT server. All works fine.

Now for my question - if I install the NT server (ActiveX EXE) on a remote server, how can I programatically get the client (using VB6 on W95/W98 etc) to connect to that server using DUN given that the application knows both the IP address and the server name and I do no want to use the "internet" - I just want to use a direct dial between the client and the server and I want the "connection" to occur within the client application. In other words the client application will connect to the local modem, dial the phone number and connect using user name and password that the application knows.

I think ther is something very simple I am missing!!!!

Thanks Folks.

Hi..
I don't know if you have your answer yet or not.. But i am using DCOM to make a connection to SAP/Oracle DB... I'm not using the dial-up connection, but there is a book that may give you the answers you are looking for... It is "Professional Visual Basic SAP R/3 Programming" by Oleg Ovanesyan.. Chapters 10-14 deal with DCOM and connecting to SAP... It helped me set up my connection with no problems.. You may want to look at this book/exercises/code from it on the site It is an excellent book..

Good luck.. let me know if you still aren't able to make the connection work.. DCOM can be irritable.. I know..

webwriter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back